Pasta and any soul food loves me but they may not love my hips…this is just yummy!
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
All the elements of a BLT combine with penne pasta and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
- 12 oz. penne pasta
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¼ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4-5 cups chopped tomatoes (or cherry or grape tomatoes, halved)
- 1/3 cup half-and-half or cream
- 4 cups arugula
- 2 tblsp. chopped fresh basil (about 10-12 leaves)
- grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook the penne according to the package directions. While the penne is cooking, prepare the rest of the recipe.
- Cook the bacon until crispy. Drain the bacon reserving 3 tablespoons of the drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside.
- In the same pan with the reserved bacon drippings, add the red onion, garlic, red pepper flakes and salt. Cook until the onion has wilted and begun to soften.
- Add the tomatoes. Stir together well and cook for about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the cream or half-and-half and cook for additional 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta and add to the pan along with the arugula, bacon and basil. Toss together. Add a splash or two of the pasta cooking water if needed.
- Top individual servings with Parmesan cheese.